How to get a Library Card?
The Coventry Public Library is a member of the Ocean State Libraries (OSL) system. OSL cards may be used at any OSL affiliated library in Rhode Island. The card is free of charge to Rhode Island residents. Cards are not transferable. Only the patron whose name appears on the card may use the card for borrowing.
To apply for an OSL card you will be asked to provide valid positive identification (such as a Rhode Island driver's license) with your current mailing address, or photo identification and 2 pieces of mail with your current address.
For children under the age of 16 a signature of a parent or legal guardian will be required as well as valid positive identification.
There is a $1.00 fee to replace a lost library card. Please report loss of card or change of address.
How do I check out Materials?
All library patrons must have a valid OSL card to check out library materials. Cards are not transferable to other family members. The patron is responsible for materials checked out on his/her card. Coventry Library reserves the right to determine charges for lost or damaged materials and deny borrowing privileges to anyone with overdue materials at any OSL library or owes fines amounting to more than $5.00 from any OSL library. The library also reserves the right to deny borrowing privileges to any parent or guardian whose child's card has the above delinquencies. Please report immediately the loss of a card or change of address. There is a $1.00 fee to replace the card. Positive ID is required to replace the card.
How do I Renew Materials?
Renewals are allowd on items a long as the item to be renewed is not more than 2 weeks overdue and there are no holds placed on the item. Renewals may be done at the circulation desk, over the telephone (please have your card number ready), or online at http://www.coventrylibrary.org Overdue materials cannot be renewed online.
How do I get Materials from other Libraries?
We can place a Hold on an item owned by another library and it will be delivered here when it becomes available. The Hold can be placed by the circulation staff (822-6200) or reference staff (822-9105) or you can place your own Hold at our online computers or your computer at home. http://www.coventrylibrary.org
How do I Pay Library Fines?
Library fines may be paid at the library or online. Coventry Library fines are ten cents per day per item except for our Museum Passes which are $5.00 per day. Please note that fines and fees for items from other libraries are determined by the owning library.
How do I Pay my Library Fines Online?
- The "Pay Online" button can be found by going to the Catalog and clicking on the "View Patron Record" link. Once you enter your library card number, you have access to several options including "Pay Online."
- The system accepts MasterCard, Visa and Discover. Billing on your credit statement will indicate fees were paid to" Ocean State Libraries."
- Our system does not currently accept payments via PayPal.
- There is no additional service charge when paying library fines online.
- The minimum amount to pay online is $1.01. Once you are in "My Account" and click "Pay Online", all fines are pre-selected. If you do not wish to pay all of the fines, you can "uncheck" the fines you do not wish to pay at this time and hit "Recalculate" to pay only the checked, selected fines. Each selected fine must be paid in full. You cannot pay a partial amount on a selected fine.
- If the "Pay Online" button does not appear, it may mean you have not reached the minimum amount of $1.01 in fines.
- The library is not able to issue credit or debit card refunds.
- If you have paid for a lost item that you subsequently find, a reimbursement is at the discretion of each individual library. The Coventry Library will reimburse for Coventry items at the amount paid minus any fines due at the time of payment. We require the payment receipt.
- If the fines you have just paid still appear, "Refresh" that screen and your payment will be accurately reflected.
- A receipt for an online payment will be automatically sent to your email address if you provide one with your credit card information. A payment receipt also displays online and may be printed. (NOTE: If you are using a computer within the library, please see a staff member regarding a print-out of your receipt.)
- If you see the following error message: "There is a problem with your patron record - payment not made - please see librarian for assistance", the sysbem was unable to access your library card record. Please try again later. If the error message displays after you attempt payment again, contact the library. As long as the error message displays, no payment is processed and no fines are cleared.
- If you receive a message that your transaction was declined, your fines/fees remain on your account. Click on the VeriSign link for more information on possible reasons why the transaction was declined.
How can I use the Library's Public Computers?
Computers for Internet Access: These computers require no reservation and are available on a first come basis. Patrons with a valid library card may use the computers for two hour time intervals, if no one is waiting, for up to four hours.
Computers with Microsoft Office Pro 2007: These computers require no reservation and are available on a first come basis. Patrons with a valid library card may use the computers for two hour time intervals, if no one is waiting, for up to four hours.
We charge $.10 per page for printing or copying in black and white, $.50 per page for printing or copying in color.
Coventry Public Library
1672 Flat River Road
Coventry, RI 02816
|Administration||822-9101 and 822-9104|