Welcome to Coventry Library's Rock & Read!
Rock & Read is a literacy program for the very young and their caregivers at the Coventry Public Library. It is a six-week program held on Monday mornings. The youngest infants, birth to 12 months meet at 9:30 a.m. Babies, 13-23 months, met at 10:30 a.m. Sessions last approximately 30 minutes.
Rock & Read will expose babies and toddlers to a variety of songs, rhymes, fingerplays and stories. Every baby's daily routine should include activities and play that is fun for babies and their caregivers. Play is vital to every child's development and also helps to create strong and deep child/adult bonding. Caregivers can encourage a young child's development by huilding her/her curiosity, social skills, self-confidence and communication skills.
Some of the aims of this program are:
- To help the very young to recognize words
- To develop early reading and language skills
- To develop listening skills
- To develop social skills such as sharing, listening and being part of a group
- To develop a love of books and reading
- To develop confidence using books and the library
- To have fun!
We encourage caregivers to use their library cards to get acquainted with our collections of board and picture books, puppets, CDs, DVDs, cake pans and fishing poles. Take something home today!
You can Rock & Read every day of the week with our baby rhymes and book suggestions:
- Baby Rhymes and Fingerplays
- Suggested Board Books (Coming soon!)
Looking for more information on early literacy and babies? Try these articles: