Children are excited by books that speak to them and their experiences. Here are some suggestions in what to look for when you are choosing books for babies and toddlers.
Infants, birth to 11 months:
- Board books with pictures of babies
- Bright colors
- Books with pictures of familiar objects like balls, bottles and rattles
- Black and white pictures, for the youngest "readers"
- Small books sized for little hands
Toddlers, 12-23 months:
- Sturdy books they can carry and handle easilu
- Books with pictures of children doing familiar things like bathing, eating, sleeping
- Goodnight books for bedtime
- Books with only a few words on the page
- Books with simply rhymes